The Hamlet of Smallwood 

and the

Civic Association of Smallwood, Inc. (SWCA) 

Aren’t they one and the same?

No, they are not.  Smallwood is an unincorporated hamlet of the Town of Bethel, Sullivan County, New York.  The Civic Association of Smallwood, Inc. (SWCA) is a New York State Not For Profit Corporation, incorporated in 1943, and made up of homeowners from within the hamlet of Smallwood.

Why is the difference important?

The SWCA is a civic organization not a civil authority.  As such, the SWCA can only make and enforce rules with regard to its Member Code of Conduct and its facilities.

If I own a home in Smallwood am I automatically a member of the Civic Association?

No.  One can own a home in Smallwood (the hamlet) and not be a member of the SWCA.

The Forest Reserve and the Town Dog Park are in Smallwood.  Are they SWCA facilities?

No they are not.  They are both overseen and maintained by the Town of Bethel. The SWCA has no authority or enforcement powers with regard to either.  So, if you need information about either, or wish to report a problem with the behavior of a dog or the dog’s owner at the Dog Park or that something is untoward, amiss or dangerous at the Forest Reserve you should call the Town of Bethel at (845) 583-4350 or email the Town Clerk at  For helpful information about Bethel visit the website:  

My neighbor’s dog is aggressive and also barks all day long. Who do I call?

The Town of Bethel Department of Animal Control.  The Animal Control Officer (ACO) is in charge of all dog matters such as complaints, dog attacks or bites.  The website is here:

My neighbor with the aggressive dog is a member of the SWCA.  Can’t the SWCA do something?

In the event that the dog’s aggressive behavior occurs on SWCA property, our Code of Conduct clearly delineates Member’s responsibilities with regards to their pets.  However, as the only things we have agency over are our facilities and as the SWCA has neither regulatory nor legislative powers and cannot enforce the Town’s laws then, again, this issue needs to be addressed by the Town of Bethel Department of Animal Control or, should the incident escalate, Law Enforcement. 

Another neighbor tends to have parties with loud music and general carrying on which lasts until late at night. Who do I call about that?

Again, a Town matter.  For non-emergency matters contact the Town Hall at (845) 583-4350 ext. 101 or the Sullivan County Sheriff’s Department at (845) 794-7100.  For emergencies call 911.  Town of Bethel Constables patrol our roadways, handle motor vehicle accidents, answer complaints, investigate and report on robberies, theft, mischief, vandalism, etc.

My neighbor is building a deck, a garage, and a shed on the property line. Who do I call?

Again, this is a matter for the Town of Bethel, in this case the Building Department.  You can call them at (845) 583-4350 ext. 105 or email them at

Thank you
for supporting
our Sponsors 

Civic Association of Smallwood, NY, Inc.
P.O. Box 151
Smallwood NY 12778
Contact Us